Uploaded pre-prepared image to BigV

Has anyone prepared an image locally and then uploaded it and got it running successfully on BigV.

I need to upgrade to Jessie, and I’m considering a reinstall, but would prefer to do it at home so that I can take the time to get it right, rather than do it with the meter running at Bytemark.

Any tips or gotchas to get it installed and bootable?

It’s certainly possible - you can netboot the BigV VM, get an image to it and write it to the disc…

Ian

Unless you’ve got a really good internet connection or a very small image to upload the downtime might be considerably longer doing it this way.

Second VM and swapping the dns might be less effort in the long run.

BigV isn’t doing anything particularly strange, so long as you’ve got virtio support (disks and nics) and watch out for uuids and udev you shouldn’t have much trouble getting something to boot.

I went the second VM route, took less than an hour of my time and was very easy. There are even guides on this site on how to do it. If a numpty like me can manage I am sure someone with your talents should find it a breeze.

Thanks. The upload and verification time is likely to be much less than my image building and configuration time. I ought to get into automated deployment, but it’s another big thing to learn!

I use Virtualmin to manage my domains, and I have experience of transferring these between machines successfully, so it’s mainly getting the image to run.

I’ve managed to run the same image at home under both VirtualBox and another QEMU system, albeit using the same disk system.

Thanks. It’s not getting a server up that’ll take the time (as you say). It’s getting it into a state that will run all my customer’s ‘stuff’ exactly as it does now. I might go the upgrade route, as previously, but a new image is a great way to get rid of the crap that builds up.

I would love to hear what sort of changes you are making to keep your customers happy. Usually for me it is simple adjustments to php.ini and the odd tweak to get ruby on rails running well. Oh, and tweaks to the backups scripts to get it to use the rights disks rather than the old symbiosis vm setup.

I use Virtualmin to provide a nice standard mail and web environment for everyone.

But I usually configure mail to be spam and virus scanned at machine level rather than domain level and deal with that one their behalf.

One customer uses mailman mailing lists.

I’ve just rolled out a Ruby on Rails app, to manage the local running club’s membership.

Plus minor odds and sods. Backups etc.

It’s not too difficult, but much easier with two systems running in parallel, so you can play spot what’s not working before you go live.

I usually provided bogus local domains so I can run most of the apps.

Thanks. I may be very odd in that I find it interesting how people setup and use their machines.

I guess we must all think that there’s got to be a better way!

Probably ought to get into all this provisioning nonsense really.

It just seems to be a faff for a once in 6-12 month thing. If anyone has any pointers to clear tutorials, I’d be please to have a look.