Transferring data around the EU

Sorry for abusing ‘Friendly Banter’ :wink: Does anyone at BM transfer data around the EU? Are you concerned about #brexit? Discuss …

As in ‘personal’ data! Not just bits and bytes!

I have handled personal (within DPA meaning) data, arguably some which originates from rEU - although most cross national transfers (personal political addresses) would be implicitly consented to having been sent by the individuals concerned from their address to a .uk or .scot address.

For years I have whinged to anybody in earshot about how useless and likely EU/ECHR law indefensible EU-US ‘Safe Harbour’ was - hah, they stopped laughing when the ECJ ruling came out; I suspect the recent EU-US ‘Privacy Shield’ to be nearly as impotent - I don’t see much will from EU commission structures to take a hard-line defending citizens… it will probably be up to another round of citizens poring over things and taking it up the judicial structures to defend wider citizenry. Whether Brexit will change business as usual in EU - hard to tell, it’s certainly given reformers/critics some fuel, although sadly most of those folk are the sort of people that Farage/LePen rather than, for want of a well known alternative, e.g. Corbyn would hang out with. Not sure how intra UK political discourse will develop on these issues… rUK still doesn’t quite really understand the longstanding difference of Scots Law or scope of Scottish parliament… nor do many UK special interest groups understand the problems with political campaigning that brings…

In UK, (modulo any potential second Scottish IndyRef outcome), I expect Brexit may eventually make a whole bunch of people who aren’t in fact legally compliant with human rights privacy protection more legally compliant compliant as we drift towards being a more corp/spook-friendly jurisdiction (which may or may not be desirable depending on your world-view). As for managing any interaction with rEU post Brexit. I suppose it depends on how long we hold on to any UK law transcribed from EU directives… or if the pressure we will be to ‘take back control’ and try to be a wild-west data jurisdiction like the US…

Sigh… interesting times…

Perhaps there should be a ‘Grim Banter’ channel…