Moving domains between machines

I’m moving some of my domains & associated sites from BigV to a dedicated machine.

The domain is registered with AN Other company and has the name servers set to the Bytemark name servers giving them control of the domain.

I’ve moved the site from BigV to Dedicated server, being careful to create a new config folder so the DNS files are created with the correct content.

What else do I need to do? The domain is looking at Bytemark DNS so do I just delete the site on BigV and the name servers will point correctly to my dedicated server or do I need to do something more or tell someone what I’ve done?

Adding SSL certificates

Hi,

If you’re moving domains between servers that use our Content DNS system, I’m afraid you’ll have to give our support team a buzz: support@support.bytemark.co.uk.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we’ll be able to sort you out. Let us know if there’s a rush on it too.

Thanks, I knew I’d seen something somewhere.

A lot to be said for RTFM

Heh, no problem. FWIW I’ve added a feature request for Symbiosis for self-service DNS transfer between machines.

This isn’t really a problem with Symbiosis, but the Bytemark content DNS system. There is nothing we can add to Symbiosis which will fix this :frowning:

If you are moving all domains from one machine to another, the easiest way to do this is to copy the /root/BytemarkDNS/upload script from the old machine to the new.

If you are moving one domain at a time, or your moving domains to a machine which already has domains on it, you have to contact support to ask us to move the domain between accounts. When contacting us, please let us know the new account’s username by running the following command on the receiving machine

grep RSYNC_USERNAME /root/BytemarkDNS/upload

and giving us the output.

Migrating Domains between Servers - Help Required with DNS

Thanks Patrick, I’ll be moving one or two domains at a time, so you’ll be getting a few more requests from me yet.

I’ve noticed that not all my domains are set up in the same way, some have bytemark as the NS authority and some are redirected just by pointing the IP to my Bytemark machine, do these that are just using the IP need to have the same intervention from support or will just changing the IP address to that of my new machine suffice?