.EU domains

So it looks like we’re going to lose access to .eu domain names.

I can honestly say I’ve never visited nor seen an .eu website. I’m sure there are plenty though.

Without wanting to get into a political argument, so many things about brexit are going to cause a huge headache. Only lawyers and accountants are going to come out of this with a bigger bank balance.

Our company is worried about software shipments and the rules that will be required around that, as well as any possible taxes. Our creative accountants are already working n ways to circumvent any additional costs that may be introduced.

The funny thing about this is the leave campaign website uses a .EU domain.

Without getting political (as I know people can get rather heated on the subject)… isnt this more about the eu being over zealous with rules on the domain? I can buy a multitude of domains from a vast number of countries I dont reside in… None of them authorities restrict my ability to purchase or use them. In fact the only domain I’ve ever personally had restrictions on buying are .ltd understandably.

But as someone above stated… I’ve never needed a .eu nore been asked to purchase one for a client so it’s no big deal for me.

Quite. You can bet the majority of people with .in, .ly and .to domains are not residents of India, Lybia or Tonga :smiley:

[well, OK, possibly not India]

I have no .EU domains either, but I do find it incredible that the EU have decided to restrict purchase like this, but then if they want to popularise that TLD then they sure have worked out a surefire way of that never happening.

I would say it’s governmental overreach, and I wouldn’t want to be in their positions when they start getting sued by very large corporations with large numbers of EU domains, that they heavily rely upon (I sure hope they are out there). It’s not their money they wasting though, it’s EU citizens tax money.

What is unusual about this is not that domain registrations will be restricted to entities in the EU (there are similar restrictions on lots of ccTLDs like .uk, .fr, .lk …)

What is unusual is that existing domains are not grandfathered in which I thought was normal practice. Not doing that looks like just vindictiveness to me.

Are UK domains restricted? I had no idea, although of course being in the UK I’d not ever be alerted to that.

Only top level ones (which are not common).

So mysite.uk is restricted, mysite.co.uk is not.

OK that makes sense.

Well, learn something new every day.

Like I have some *.uk domains for which I can claim the .uk version for free, any time until July this year!

So glad that was publicised… :confused: