DNS, what am I doing wrong?

Hi All - posted before, but wouldn’t accept my old user name password for account madgadget… anyway…

Just playing with a cloud server. I have domain names hosted with bytemark the DNS/IP appears to be correct:

a.ns.bytemark.co.uk
b.ns.bytemark.co.uk
c.ns.bytemark.co.uk

etc…

I have created a site:

and the ‘test’ mode works:
http://fusioneventservices.co.uk.testing.fusion2.default.fusion2ltd.uk0.bigv.io/

I have the domain fusioneventservices.co.uk and have been waiting for some time for it to update… and nothing?!

I can’t see what I’m doing wrong?

ping fusioneventservices.co.uk for example is just responds “could not find host”.

I don’t know what I’m missing, isnt this supposed to happen automagically?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

The ‘test’ mode works:
http://fusioneventservices.co.uk.testing.fusion2.default.fusion2ltd.uk0.bigv.io/

This works because we have DNS records setup such *.testing.your.host points to your host. (That’s probably obvious!)

I have the domain fusioneventservices.co.uk and have been waiting for some time for it to update… and nothing?!

This is the part that is failing. What should happen is that you create /srv/fusioneventservices.co.uk on your Symbiosis-host, and a set of DNS records are automatically generated and uploaded to our nameserver.

Instead, having checked, there are no records for that domain hosted on our system. So what seems to be happening is either:

• No records are being generated.
    • Is /srv/fusioneventservices.co.uk owned by admin:admin ?
  • The upload is failing.

To track this down I’d suggest you take a look at the server a little. Has a DNS file been created? You should see:

/srv/fusioneventservices.co.uk/config/dns//fusioneventservices.co.uk.txt

Does that file exist? Does it contain data that seems sensible? If it is missing run sudo /usr/sbin/symbiosis-dns-generate --verbose, and that should generate the file.

If the file existed, and contained records that seem sensible we now need to see why they’re failing to get to our nameserver. To do that try running :

sudo /root/BytemarkDNS/upload

Hopefully this helps.

I have a set of DNS records that have been generated, and yes they look sensible.

/srv/fusioneventservices.co.uk/config/dns/fusioneventservices.co.uk.txt

running sudo /root/BytemarkDNS/upload

I get:

Uploading to host : @ERROR: Unknown module ‘root@46.43.0.232’
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1653) [sender=3.1.1]
completed.

Problem lies here?

Just to point out if necessary, this is a fresh cloud server. I’ve not modified or done anything…

Oh and yes the ownership seems correct as well.

Yeah that was a the problem, a fault on our side. This is resolved now, and won’t happen to anybody else.

I’m sorry for the hassle, but thanks for your diagnostics :slight_smile: